It’s almost here! Bhangra producer PBN’s highly anticipated album ‘Crowd Pleaser’ will be hitting stores on 2nd July 2010. The 8 track album also features tracks with Miss Pooja, Master Rakesh, Liyakat Ali and legendary UK Bhangra band - Heera. Also, PBN who made his singing debut on ‘Sohni Lagdi’ last year has gotten back into the vocal both for another track.
Sarb Mann and Manjinder Mann caught up with him recently to get an update on whats happening.
1. Your latest single ‘Kaun Nee Jaandah’ hit number 1 on the iTunes World Music Chart on the day of its release and also reached number 1 in the BBC's Official Top 40 Asian Music Chart. Did you expect the track to be so popular?
To be honest, the initial response did take me by surprise. I was confident about the release but I didn’t imagine that it would ever go straight to the Number 1 spot. Everywhere I go people are using the hookline “kaun nee jaandah” in day-to-day conversations. It’s amazing to see that my song can actually have that much impact.
2. Your fans are eagerly awaiting your fifth album ‘Crowd Pleaser.’ When will the album be releasing and what can we expect from it?
Crowd Pleaser will officially be hitting the stores on 2nd July 2010. I would say most definitely expect dance floor numbers in true PBN style as well as collaborations and rhythms that you may not have heard from me in the past. I think this album definitely will showcase my versatility as a music artist more so than my previous releases.
3. The track ‘Sohni Lagdi’ was the first single which featured your vocals. Will we be hearing any more tracks sung by you on the new album?
Sohni Lagdi was a great stepping-stone for me and the response from the fans has pushed me towards singing more tracks in the future. I have actually produced and sang on 1 new track for the new album. The new track is purely for the dance floor and the vibe is as traditional as it gets.
4. Which artists will be featuring on the new album?
Crowd Pleaser features collaborations with the likes of Miss Pooja, H Dhami, The Dhol Foundation, Daljit Mattu, Master Rakesh and the legendary Heera group to name a few. I am really excited about this project as the line up really reflects the diverse range of artists we have representing Asian music today.
5. You have recently been working on H-Dhami’s remix album which will be releasing later this year. How did you find working on this project?
It was a pleasure working with H on his Remix Album. There was a great vibe when we were working in the studio and the collaboration has led onto more future features. We have reproduced the track titled Nachdi Vekhna and really taken it to the dancefloor, full of powerful dhol rhythms and catchy melodies, I’m sure the fans are going to like it.
6. You have been named the ‘the hit maker’ within the Bhangra industry with hits such as Nain Preeto De, Jaan Panjabi and Ashiq to name a few. Do you have a personal favourite?
It really is an honour to be dubbed as the hit maker, I just try to make feel good music which I am really passionate about. I have no personal favourite as each song has had a positive impact on my music career. I think Aaj Meh Peeni is the track that really has stood the test of time as it stills gets the crowd going crazy even though it has been 5 years since it was released.
7. What has been the highlight of your music career so far?
I think the release of Homegrown last year was definitely a highlight for my career. The response not just in the UK, but internationally was amazing. I think Homegrown strengthened the PBN name globally.
8. With the release of your track ‘Aashiq’ there was the introduction of ‘Mr and Miss Aashiq’ t-shirts. Is a ‘Punjabi By Nature’ clothing range something you would like to develop in the future?
Yes for sure, we are currently working on a new range which will be releasing later this summer.
9. Which artists would you like to work with on future projects?
There are still a lot of artists I would like to collaborate with but it all depends on time as we are all are busy in our own work. There are a lot of exciting collaborations that are in the pipeline later this year so watch this space.
10. Thank you for taking out the time for this interview. Do you have any final words for your fans?
As always I would just like to say thank you to each and every one of my fans for their ongoing love and support. I hope you all enjoy the new album as much, if not more than my previous releases. Love to you all. PBN