Many artists strive to get their name out hoping that one day their dreams will come true. A young talented artist out in Toronto, Canada has captured the hearts of many fans just by doing what he does best…Singing. This upcoming artist has broken the waves of Punjabi music in his own unique style and fashion across North America. SimplyBhangra.com had the chance to do the very first exclusive interview with this young Punjabi singer. Here he is folks…Introducing Deep Jandu!
1. For those people who may not know who you are, please tell us a little bit about yourself and what you do?
Deep Jandu: My name is Deep Jandu and I am an 18-year-old vocalist from Toronto, Canada.
2. What genre of music do you focus on and sing?
Deep Jandu:: I focus on singing Punjabi folk and traditional music.
3. How did you decide to become a vocalist and where did you get your inspiration?
Deep Jandu:: I didn’t decide to become a vocalist, it just kind of happened. When I was young, I was always involved in the traditional Punjabi culture. Whether being Bhangra dance or singing Boliyaan for local Bhangra teams in Toronto I was always involved in something musically focused.
4. So, being that you were surrounded by music while growing up, where you ever part of a Bhangra team as you sing Boliyaan?
Deep Jandu:: Yes I was part of a Bhangra team with a well-known local Bhangra team here in Toronto, “Sonay Gabroo Punjab De” – SGPD. They were the ones who found that singing talent in me and gave me the opportunity to sing for local Bhangra competitions.
5. Who would you say are your biggest role models in life?
Deep Jandu: Since I am musically inclined towards traditional Bhangra music, I enjoy listening to high-pitched volume singers. My biggest role models are Shree Kuldip Manak, Labh Heera, Durga Rangila the late Dilshad Aktar, and the late Ustad Nasrat Fateh Ali Khan.
6. Have you taken any vocal training, do play any instruments and do you write your own songs?
Deep Jandu: I have been doing vocal training for the past 2 years after my friends and family pushed me to in order for me to get to the next level of singing. I have two teachers, first one being Pandit Mahesh Mulwani (which the late Soni Pabla learn from as well) and Ustad Jagdish Singh Virdi, who is also my Fufardji. Yes, I also play instruments like the harmonium and keyboard quite a bit. I like trying a little bit of every instrument, such as the Tumbi, Dhol, Dholki,etc. When it comes to writing songs, I try to write as much as possible on my own. But if I cant, then I just give the idea to my older cousin, “Raju Ghatora Moge-Wala,” who writes majority of the lyrics to my songs.
7. Are you currently working on any singles, videos or albums?
Deep Jandu Yes. I have been working hard on my debut album for the past year. Hans Mann produced the music on this album. In December 2008, I traveled to India to record a song with Miss Pooja, which will feature on my debut album. I also had the opportunity to shoot 2 music videos while being there with the third video to be shot locally here in Toronto, Canada.
8. When can we look forward to the release of your debut album?
Deep Jandu: Right now we are doing last minute touch ups. Hopefully, it will be released worldwide by late Fall 2009. The name of the debut album will be called, “Shera Naal Yaari".
9. On this debut album, can we expect to see any other collaboration other than Miss Pooja?
Deep Jandu: Mainly this album focuses more on my singing. Although, it will feature the rap phenomenon “Jay Deala” who is also my cha cha ji. Look out for his album coming out soon titled, “Sincerely Jay Deala.”
10. Since you have been working on completing your debut Album, normally an artist would release a single before their album is released. Could we look forward to any singles before the release of your debut album?
Deep Jandu: Yes, my first single will release worldwide in September 2009 with the release of my first video. The song and video will be titled, “Lak Tut Ju.”
11. Have you done any shows or performances?
Deep Jandu: For the past two and a half months, I have been promoting my debut album and doing performances across North America.
12. Where do you see your musical career heading within the next year?
Deep Jandu : I have no idea hopefully somewhere good! I’m just doing what I love to do, the rest I will leave in god’s hands.
13. Thank you Deep for taking the time out to do this interview its been a pleasure. Is there anything you would like to say to your many fans and our Simplybhangra.com readers?
Deep Jandu : Yes, Thank you too! I’d like to thank Simplybhangra.com for giving young and upcoming singers like me a chance to be noticed. Look forward to my debut album and I hope you all like it. Check it out late fall 2009!"Stay tuned for his Album release, “Shera Naal Yaari!” Right here on SimplyBhangra.com!